Cameras are evolving into fast, smart tools that can retrieve information and display content -- and we believe that through our camera and augmented reality, we’re shaping the future of how we all experience the world around us.
Over 170 million Snapchatters engage with AR daily -- nearly 30 times every day*. Snapchatters are engaging with our AR experiences, called Lenses, with top-performing community Lenses reaching billions of views on Snapchat**.
Today we announced new camera and augmented reality experiences for developers, creators, and Snapchatters.
Lens Studio and SnapML
The foundation of our camera platform, Lens Studio, is a powerful, free desktop application designed for developers and artists to build and distribute AR on Snapchat. We’re updating Lens Studio with new, advanced features to push the boundaries of AR creation.
Today, we’re introducing SnapML, which lets any developer bring their own machine learning models directly into Lens Studio to power Lenses. Now, anyone can create their own Lenses with neural networks, expanding the possibilities for Lenses that can transform the world. We partnered with Wannaby, Prisma, 2020CV, and Official Lens Creators on the first SnapML creations.
Local Lenses enable a persistent, shared AR world built right on top of your neighborhood. You and your friends can step into augmented reality together to decorate nearby buildings with colorful paint and experience a new dimension of AR.
“Press and hold” on the camera screen to unlock relevant, helpful Lenses based on what you see in front of you.
Today, we’re announcing new Scan partners:
- Snapchatters can identify 90% of all known plants and trees thanks to PlantSnap.
- The Snapchat camera now recognizes almost 400 breeds powered by Dog Scanner. It works on people too, so you can even figure out what type of dog you most resemble!
- Soon, you can Scan the iconic Louis Vuitton monogram to be transported to a virtual installation displaying their classic trunks and latest collection.
- Later this year, Nutrition Scanner will give a rating on the quality of ingredients in many packaged foods when you Scan an item’s label thanks to Yuka.
Additionally, we’re introducing Voice Scan, which offers Lens results based on your voice commands. Powered by our partnership with SoundHound, press and hold to tell Snapchat what kind of Lens you want to see.
To create Lenses and experiment with these powerful new tools, visit lensstudio.snapchat.com to download and get started in Lens Studio.
* Snap Inc. internal data January 1 - May 25, 2020
** Snap Inc. internal data Q1 2020