The 2023 World Cup kicks off this week and with it, new ways for Snapchatters around the world to experience, celebrate, and engage with the beautiful game.
Beginning this week, Snapchat’s global community of over 750 million people can showcase their fandom and support for women’s soccer via a series of compelling experiences across the platform. From a first-of-its-kind AR experience with the U.S. Women’s National Team (USWNT), to new AR Lenses built by female Lens creators, to exciting creative tools, we encourage the Snapchat community to celebrate the women making this World Cup an unforgettable event.
"As we continue our commitment to championing women's sports, Snapchat is honored to be a part of the 2023 World Cup, bringing fans closer to their favorite National Teams and players as they go head-to-head on the world's biggest stage. Through immersive content coverage, creator collaborations, and new, innovative AR experiences, Snapchatters will have an unparalleled opportunity to express their football fandom like never before." — Emma Wakely, Sports Partnerships, Snap Inc.
This year, Snapchat is debuting an innovative AR Lens built in collaboration with U.S. Soccer and the USWNT. The innovative USWNT ‘Team Tracker’ Lens uses advanced AR technology to bring fans closer to the team, with 3D Bitmoji avatars of the USWNT roster, stats, news, fun facts, and highlights that update in real time.
Global AR Lenses are also available for every participating World Cup country so that Snapchatters anywhere can show off their country pride.
- Global Fan Selfie Experience: Snapchatters can scroll through the ‘Across the Globe’ Lens to see a unique selfie Lens for every participating country. We’re proud to share that these Lenses were created and produced by female Lens creators at VideOrbit Studio, a women-led Dutch XR design studio specializing in AR.
- FIFA Lens: A new AR Lens incorporates the FIFA Fancestry quiz so Snapchatters can find out what countries they are best suited to support!
- USWNT Jersey try-on Lens: Snapchatters can see how they look in the official 2023 USWNT Jersey, powered by Snap’s Live Garment Transfer technology.
- Togethxr AR Lens: A new Lens in partnership with Togethxr, the media and commerce company founded by Alex Morgan, Chloe Kim, Simone Manuel, and Sue Bird, which champions equality, diversity, and investment in female athletes and women’s sports. The Togethxr Lens was built by VideOrbit and encourages Snapchatters to show their support and advocacy for women’s sports.
A whole new set of creative tools lets anyone enhance their fan experience throughout the tournament!
- Bitmoji: In partnership with adidas, Snapchatters can dress their Bitmoji avatars in select, official football kits to cheer on their home team.
- Official team kits available in the adidas Fan Gear section for: Colombia, Costa Rica, Italy, Jamaica, Philippines, Sweden, Argentina, Germany, Japan, and Spain.
- Official team kits will also be available for: Australia, Brazil, Canada, England, France, South Korea, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Portugal and USA.
- Additional country kits available in the Bitmoji Fan Gear section for: China, Denmark, Ireland, Haiti, Morocco, Panama, South Africa, Switzerland, Vietnam, and Zambia.
- Stickers & Filters: Chat with friends and decorate your Snaps with Stickers and Filters for each of the participating countries, including official Women’s National Team Stickers and Filters for Australia, France, Norway, USA, Sweden, Nigeria, New Zealand, and Spain.
- Cameos: Add your Cameo to make Snapchat conversations more personal and fun. Cameos are available for every team, and official National Team kits are available through our partnership with adidas for: Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica, Germany, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Philippines, Spain, and Sweden.
Catch all the goals, highlights, and behind-the-scenes action from media partners and content creators.
- U.S. Soccer App Integration: Fans can post U.S. Soccer news to their Snapchat Story directly from the U.S. Soccer App, using a new Lens to preview the article and capture their reactions.
- Shows: Togethxr will produce a new, twice-weekly show on the Stories page called ‘Offside Special.’ Dive into all things women's soccer, from the on-field magic to the off-field moments and storylines.
- ITV in the UK and Optus Sport in Australia will also offer official World Cup highlights in the Stories tab.
- Snap Stars & Creators: Snapchatters can access exclusive, on-the-ground content by following some of their favorite footballers, professional athletes, and creators across Stories and Spotlight, including Alisha Lehmann, Asisat Oshoala, Jordyn Huitema, Julia Grosso, Madison Hammond, Megan Reyes, Ryann Torrero, and Antonio Santiago.
- U.S. Soccer will also be posting regular updates and content throughout the tournament to their Snap Star profile.
- Spotlight Challenges: Snapchatters in the U.S. will have a chance to win a share of up to $30,000 for submitting their best Snaps to women’s soccer-themed Spotlight Challenges, including:
- #TeamSpirit (July 19-25) - Demonstrate your fandom for your favorite women’s soccer team!
- #GoalCelebration (July 31-August 6) - Use Director Mode to recreate an iconic women’s soccer goal celebration!
- #SoccerWatchParty (August 17-21) – Use a location tag to show off your women’s soccer watch party!
- Snap Map: Curated Stories on the Snap Map for each match, watch party, celebration and more.
See you Down Under! 👻⚽