Snapchat’s AR Studio, based in Paris, is teaming up with Daft Punk’s creative team to celebrate the special release of Random Access Memories 10th Anniversary Edition on Friday, May 12. The AR Studio will bring to life “Daft Punk: Memories Unlocked,” a series of never-before-seen augmented reality experiences, to fans around the world.
“Daft Punk: Memories Unlocked”
To celebrate this long-awaited anniversary edition, the AR Studio has created three AR experiences, offering fans and Snapchatters immersive music experiences exclusively available on Snapchat.
AR Experience #1 - A track "hidden in plain sight" for 10 years?
On Wednesday, May 10th at 9am CET, 48 hours before the anniversary edition is released, the track “Horizon,” originally featured on the 2013 Japanese version of the album, will be unveiled to the rest of the world via Snapchat’s augmented reality Lenses. Fans can use the Snapchat camera to scan the original Random Access Memories album cover artwork to reveal a new crystal helmet AR Lens and listen to “Horizon,” which is hidden within the silver and gold helmet! Flipping the camera will allow Snapchatters to wear the crystal helmet while listening to the song.
How does it work?
Snapchatters and fans will be able to trigger the experience on May 10, 2023, by following the steps below:
- Open to the Snapchat camera
- Point your smartphone and scan the silver and gold helmet on the original Random Access Memories album artwork (vinyl, CD, or streaming platforms)
- The new crystal helmet will appear in full size and in AR on top of the album and the track "Horizon" will start playing.
- Turn the Snapchat camera towards your face to wear the helmet
- Take a Snap and post to your Story or Spotlight to share with your close friends.
AR Experience #2 - Treasure hunt in 10 cities around the world
On Thursday, May 11, a treasure hunt will launch in 10 iconic locations worldwide. GPS coordinates will be posted on the duo’s various social media channels to give fans clues on where to go and find these 10 exclusive new AR experiences around the world created by Snap’s AR Studio.
The following 10 cities will host this unique experience: Paris (France), New York (USA), Los Angeles (USA), London (UK), Berlin (Germany), Mexico City (Mexico), Tokyo (Japan), Sydney (Australia), São Paulo (Brazil), and Buenos Aires (Argentina).
How does it work?
Fans and Snapchatters will be able to trigger the experience on May 11, 2023, by following the steps below:
- Follow the band’s social media channels
- Meet on May 11 at 10am local time at the location announced by the GPS coordinates closest to you
- Open to the Snapchat camera, ensuring that Snapchat geolocation is enabled
- Launch the "Daft Punk" Lens that appears in your Lens carousel
- Engage with the specially designed experience and share it with your close friends via Snapchat Messaging and/or post to your Story or Spotlight
AR Experience #3 - Billboards Augmented: The new augmented reality helmet unveiled
From May 11-28, 2023, in 6 countries around the world, the public will be able to discover the duo's new 10th anniversary crystal helmet through an extensive out-of-home billboard campaign. By scanning the QR code on the billboard, fans and Snapchatters will be able to access the new AR Lens with the embedded "Horizon" track.
6 countries will have the chance to experience the new helmets in Paris, New York, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Sydney, London, Liverpool, and Berlin.
How does it work?
- Go to the advertised locations
- Open your smartphone’s camera
- Scan the QR code on the sign
- You will be redirected to your Snapchat Camera
- The new crystal helmet will appear in giant size and augmented reality above the album and the track "Horizon" will start playing.
- Turn your Snapchat camera towards your face to try the helmet
- Share with your close friends via Snapchat Messaging and/or post to your Story or Spotlight